Re: Debian on an old PC

Paul Johnson wrote:
On Thursday 06 January 2005 01:44 pm, John Schmidt wrote:

Old pcs often can't boot from a CD even if they have one. You might be able to flash the BIOS to upgrade it, but that assumes there is an update out there (highly unlikely).

If it's too old to boot from a CD, wouldn't it also pre-date flashable BIOS?

I have installed Debian 3.0r2 i386 vanilla on a 2 older computers in the 133 MHz with 32 RAM HD 1.2G with no problem. These computer did boot from the CDROM and also installed from boot-floppy also on other computers that can't boot from CDROM. I do use KDM to log into Blackbox, Fluxbox, KDE, GNOME. The text editor that I use is ee from the command line and also use MC (Midnight commander). I have experimented with a ttyS0 modem to connect to the internet no problem but it was slow, now using DSL much faster to get updates and installing other applications with no problems. I am still experimenting with other linux distro to see if they install but I still come back to Debian because I can choose which kernel to install like some other Linux distros you dont have that choice.

Johnny