grub not seeing sata drive

Here's a question for you.  I Debian earlier on a machine at home that has
SATA drives.  The SATA drives are configured as IDE-3 and IDE-4 Master's.
It installs fine, but when it boots, GRUB apparently can't find the config
file.  It defaults to a text mode prompt GRUB>.  It I enter

   root (hd2,0)
   configfile grub/grub.conf

it pops up the normal graphical GRUB menu and boots fine.
Internally, (hd2,0) is /dev/sda1. I tried setup (hd2) and that didn't make
any difference.  So, it seems that GRUB can read the MBR from the drive,
but can't or won't look for config file on the same drive. Have you seen
anything like this?

--
--Luke CS Sysadmin, Montana State University-Bozeman