Re: Debian on an old PC

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 06:44 -0800, James Vahn wrote:
>> I held the top slot in the BogoMIPS-HOWTO for slowest system for many years-
>> a 386SX/16 w/8 megs of RAM. Used a pair of them (and Hercules MDA) to get
>> Netscape on the internet (orange hi-res screen). One ran X, the other ran
>> Netscape. Held 'em together with duct tape. ;-)
>
> XFree 3.1 and Netscape 1.x?

Don't know about X, but that sounds right for Netscape - I'd guess 1.47 ..
No window manager, it was a text mode UUCP leaf for news/email. All X did
was run Netscape through the xinit startup script. I used a PLIP connection
(parallel port network) between the two boxes.

>> Yes, yours'll work. Take a peek at WindowMaker (wmaker), I ran it on a
>> 486DX4/100 w/24 megs for quite some time before moving to a P133 w/64
>> megs running KDE.
>
> KDE 1.x?

KDE 2.x on the P133, didn't think KDE 1.x had a chance on the 486 and
have never seen/used it. By the time my "hardware" was capable, KDE 1.x
was no longer current.