Re: Debian on an old PC

>> RAM
>> such a
>> >
>> > Depends on what software you decide to install on it.
>> >
>> > What do you want to do with the box?
>> >
>> With this box I am trying to convince my father that linux is an
>> excellent
>> replacement for windows98se for writing textdocuments and maybe some
>> scientific documents. He needs a machine with a simple gui,
>> openoffice.org
>> and some other simple programs.  For the window-manager I had xfce in
>> mind, which is as I have understood, the easiest to lern of the small
>> wm's.

16 MB is not enough for Open Office . Forget your idea,  your father is
going to believe that Win98 is better than linux :)
Some time ago, I was testing several slow machines in order to replace
some Windows 98 boxes.
Running Win98, Office97 and IE 5 with 16 MB RAM the machine is very very
slow, but is usable.
To obtain something similar or may be worst performance you need a light
window-manager (like IceWM) and at leat 64 MB RAM.
An alternative, but taking a totally diferent way is use the slow machine
as a light client, using LTSP or PXES, but you will need a powerful
machine as a server, a network and a lot of work, but the performance is
better.

Norberto