Re: free vs commercial

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 13:44 +0000, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
> Hello,
>
> ken keanon wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Since my discourse about free software last month, I
> > had installed Debian GNU/Linux Sarge on one partition
> > of my harddisk while retaining WinXP in another.
> >
> > Starting with the maxim "To beat MS you have to be as
> > good as, if not better than, MS", I am constantly
> > comparing the Linux I had installed with WinXP.
> >
> > With Konqueror, the Window Management, File
> > Management, Web Browsing is on par with WinXP.
> >
> > What I find wanting in Linux is Device Management.
> >

> A very good idea is to get a computer box totally supported
> by the Linux community.
> And do not forget that Debian does not run only on PC
> (as WinXP).

Right! On my ASUS L5C laptop, Sarge (with 2.6.9 from Sid) supports acpi,
dri, udev and hal out of the box. IOW: I have 3D acceleration and when I
plug in my usb stick it is automagically mounted on my gnome desktop.
Furthermore, I bought a ADSL router which has a ethernet connection and
a web interface. IOW: no drivers needed and the same graphical interface
as in windows.

HTH, David