Re: names good for marketing

On Sun, 2005-01-02 at 21:15 -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> Alvin Smith writes:
> > To put it bluntly, the issue is whether white people will accept a
> > product with a Black African "sounding" name or not.
>
> What a loony notion.

In a country of 300M people, there *will* be some people who say,
"It sounds too black."

There will be many more people who think, "it sounds really weird",
and will mispronounce it.  I pronounced it Ubutnu until someone
corrected me.  And you have no idea how long it took me to figure
out how to pronounce Hyundai.

The bottom line is that people want foreign brands to not *look*
so excessively foreign that they are unpronounceable or easily
mispronounceable.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"The right to search for truth implies also a duty; one must not
conceal any part of what one has recognized to be true."
Albert Einstein