names good for marketing

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 at 18:12:18 +0000, Sam Watkins wrote:
> > > The folks there should change the name: I would never use a thing named
> > > _ubuntu_. Btw, Hurd is a name as horrible as ubuntu.
> >
> > Yeah, I've gotta admit, I'm a bit turned off by the name, "Ubuntu."
>
> I think Ubuntu is a great name.  Meaningful!

I did not say that is meaningless.

> Perhaps the poster would be turned off by any non-english or
> non-european name.

Hurd is an english name. Actually the problem you describe is quite
serious: you cannot imagine how much effort is
put by companies in finding names which are good for different languages
and cultures. I think that ubuntu is probably a good name if you want to
sell in africa but certainly not a good choice if you want to sell in
the western world. Do not underestimate the power of emotions.
--
On this laptop no Windows system survives and LINUX POWER reigns UNLIMITED.
Successfully Microsoft free since December 2002.