Re: [Way off topic] the politics of ubuntu.org

On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 19:05 -0500, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> Benjamin A'Lee wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 02:46:33PM -0800 or thereabouts, Steve Lamb wrote:
> >
> >>    Russia - IIRC, Implicated in the same scam and/or sold arms to Saddam
> >>    for which he owed millions/billions on.  They had a finacial interest in
> >>Iraq either way.
> >

> > If I remember correctly, the USA also supplied Iraq with weapons, when
> > it was fighting Iran.  And to the Taliban when it was fighting the
> > USSR.  How does that make the USA better than the rest of the world, exactly?
> >

> Not trying to justify it, nor saying that the ends justify the means
> (especially since they don't even come close in this case), but how can
> you compare:
>
> a. Trying to stop spread of communism

> b. "Hey, look how much money we can make if we sell guns to them!"
>
> You can debate the correctness of communism as a philosophy.  However,
> you can't deny that the US was ensuring that communism did not spread.
> This was one of the stated objectives of the Cold War.

Especially since the Sovs (and the PRC, for that matter) weren't/
aren't "communist".  They are/were brutal, ruthless dictatorships.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

NAMBLA - Nat'l Assoc of Marlon Brando Look-Alikes (Yes, it's a
South Park reference.)