Re: Upgrading a 2.2 kernel (3.0r2) to 2.6

Cameron G wrote:

> I'm just wondering, what's the best practice for upgrading a default
> installation 3.0 installation to the latest and greatest? I'd really
> rather avoid rolling my own kernels, it always ends up being a pain to
> maintain, and I have several servers to look after. The reason I'm asking
> is that I just got debian (r2) on a dedicated server over the other side
> of the globe, and I basically went like this:
>
> apt-get install kernel-image-2.6
> vi /etc/lilo.conf   (for adding the initrd stuff)
> /sbin/lilo
> reboot
>
> ... And it unfortunately decided not to come back up.

You should still be able to boot back to your old kernel (provided you left
it installed). Once you do that, check out his post to the backports.org
mailing list, which explains an easy way to upgrade Woody to a 2.6 kernel.

http://lists.backports.org/pipermail/backports/2003-December/000044.html

Adam