Re: apt-get screwed ? please help

Florian Ernst wrote:
Hello Bob, hello list!

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 03:21:00PM +0100, Bob Alexander wrote:

[...]
dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute post-removal script: Permission denied
dpkg: error processing gtkhtml3.2 (--remove):
subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 2
[...]
/dev/hda10 /tmp ext3 rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0

"Be careful if setting /tmp noexec when you want to install new
software, since some programs might use it for installation. Apt is
one such program (see http://bugs.debian.org/116448) if not configured
properly APT::ExtractTemplates::TempDir (see apt-extracttemplates(1)).
You can set this variable in /etc/apt/apt.conf to another directory
with exec privileges other than /tmp."

/dev/hda8 /var ext3 rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0

"(dpkg's) installation (post,pre) and removal (post,pre) scripts are at
/var/lib/dpkg/", so better don't mount it noexec.

See
<http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch4.en.html#s4.9>
for reference. BTW, the ld-linux trick to circumvent noexec won't work
anymore with recent kernels.

HTH,
Flo

Tschuess Flo. You're GREAT !!!

I tried mounting those filesystems in that way as a side security measure but the hassles I have run into make me believe that probably I'd better leave them exec and rw all the times :(

Take care,
Bob