Re: The Debian IRC channel

On Monday 20 December 2004 10:00 am, ida4327@vip.cybercity.dk wrote:

> > Actually, according to Debian's website (http://debian.org/support),
the=20
> > IRC channel is the Debian official IRC channel.
>
> No you are wrong it is not:
> http://www.debian.org/vote/2001/vote_0002
>
> QUOTE:
> 2. Problems
>
> * The IRC channels #debian-* are not officially recognized as part of
>   Debian's communication channels.
> QUOTE STOP.

You're countering a current, existing web page with a
two-year-out-of-date source.

> I am comparing between channels and I want the reactions from people
> other than the same rude persons which actually was present yesterday
> - just to see if other people also has had some bad experiences.

They weren't rude, you were out of line.  Just like you're out of line
now, using reply to all instead of reply to mailing list.  I didn't
need or want two copies of your message, I read the list.

> You haven't understood a word! Whos talking about switching IP's??

I didn't misunderstand anything.  You said that you couldn't switch IPs
since you only had one from your ISP for your WAN, which implies that
you would have if you could.

> My quess is that you are one of those persons whom I am adressing.

No.  I'm baloo on IRC just as I am here, I was not on #debian last
night.

> > Here's a good FAQ on how to make a dumb question a smart one.
>
> Yep! I am right, you are one of them!

Because I'm one of the majority who think that volunteers shouldn't have
to diaper change newbies?  Get this to sink in:  You didn't pay for
support, so don't expect a us to do all the work for you.

> > Read the channel FAQ, many people idle when they're asleep or at
> > work. =20
> > Try asking in a few hours.  Read the channel FAQ.  Read the
> > channel=20
> > =46AQ.
>
> Has nothing to do with the issue.

It has everything to do with it!  That's the thing!  You are
deliberately ignoring the resources you are given to prepare yourself
for asking people for help, then getting pissed off when people don't
bend over backwards to make up for your sheer laziness.

> Actually I am happy you write like this because you are demonstrating
> very well what I am talking about. This is exactly the kind of
> behavior you meet at the debian channel as soon as something doesn't
> fit the "clique". Unlike other Linux channels on IRC. It is a sad
> thing for debian that people like this is actually running the
> channel.

Other Linux channels I've been on tend towards the same (at least the
regulars who are tired of walking people through the same obvious stuff
that's been answered a billion times already).  You're being
deliberately ignorant and actively repelling any clue.  Just stop.

Like I said before, if you don't want to put forth any effort on your
own part, put your money where your mouth is and go hit
http://debian.org/consultants since free resources aren't going to give
you what you want.  Free support is only for those who help themselves.
If you don't want to help yourself, and you don't want to pay for
support, any field involving computers isn't for you.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.dyndns.org