Gnome Volume Control, not the panel applet

Hi, running Unstable.

When I use bound keys to modify my volume up or down I see the volume bar move up and down but there is no change to the volume of the audio I hear, probably because the volume on the wrong channel is being changed. Using the volume control panel applet I've selected "Headphone" and that works when I use the slider.

How can I specify the channel that the system wide applet should change?

Thanks,

--
Cliph/ff
http://chicks-dig-unix.net/