Re: oom-killer vs system not reachable

* Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> [18-12-2004 20:14]:
> This is NOT one single 1.5GB mbox file is it?  If so, do yourself
> a big favour and switch it to maildir.  Or store all that mail in
> an *indexing* IMAP server

Yes it's one single file. It's not my mailbox. Personally I could
not work with it. There is so much mail that IMAP would be way to
slow. Mutt is very fast once the mailbox is open. Reading and
writing might take up to a minute though.

> And make sure you use reiserfs, or xfs, or 2.6.9 ext3 with all the
> hash tree options enabled if you're going to get 20000+ messages
> in a single directory.

I'll look into it.

> But enough swap should make it tolerable.

I will add another swap partition to see if it changes anything.
Mutt is bound by a filesize limit of 2GB. Current memory
configuration is 1 GB RAM and 1 GB swap. Is there a limit to how
much swap I can/should add to the system?

The points concerning the mbox file are taken (in fact I knew as
much). Do you think that Linux might stop to respond or get stuck
for a while as a result of the big file.

In other words would the symptoms of an oom-killer event and the
resource shortage before it be noticable for a longer period? Or
would it just be a quick kill of a process and then everyting back
to normal?

Regards,
Bob