Re: Hardware hassles: Linux vs. Windows

On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 14:34 -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 December 2004 12:01 pm, Alvin Oga wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Christian Convey wrote:
> >
> > > I don't think I agree.  I'm talking about cases where a good driver
> > > exists in both Windows and Linux.  My question is: given an existing
> > > good driver, why is there more manual work to get a device like a
> > > trackball useable under Linux rather than Windows?
> >
> > because when you play with windoze, you only have one kernel
> >
> > when you play with linux, you have 2**N possible kernels
> > where "N" is the various modules that is turned on or off
>
> No, still one kernel, different drivers.
>
> > <fuzzy crystal ball prediction>
> > gateway will be bought out by a big or small fish to merge
> > with a linux distro to keep both entities alive
> > </crystal ball>
>
> Probably not Gateway, but one of the struggling "discount" brands like
> eMachines.

Boy, are you behind the times...
http://www.alwayson-network.com/comments.php?id=4117_0_4_0_C

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Lead the people with governmental measures and regulate them by
law and punishments, and they will avoid wrongdoing, but will
have no sense of honor and shame. Lead them by virtue and
regulate them by the rules of propriety and they will have a
sense of shame and, moreover, set themselves right."
Confucius