Re: ISA sound card

Hello

Ted Parks (<th.parks@gmail.com>) wrote:

> I am trying to configure an OPL3SA2 sound card on a Toshiba Tecra 8000
> laptop running Sarge. I have been told this is an ISA card. Three
> questions.
>
> 1) Does the kernel have to be built to recognize an ISA PnP card? When
> I installed isapnptools and did pnpdump to create an isapnp.conf file,
> Sarge did not see any ISA devices.

Which kernel version do you use?

> 2) Should I be able to send the irq and other parameters to the Alsa
> OPL3SA2 driver without worrying about whether the machine knows about
> the ISA devices? When I try to load the Alsa driver, which I know is
> there, an error message reports the module is missing.

Please post the exact error message. Do you use your own kernel, or a
Debian package? If you use a package from debian.org (kernel 2.4 or
2.6), you should be able to load the module without finding out the IRQ
and DMA of the card. As far as I know these things (I have a computer
with opl3sa2 onboard) support ISA Plug and Play.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976