Re: knoppix HD-install problem

Hi!

Sorry for the harsch answer, I just had a very bad day...

Kamaraju Kusumanchi <kamaraju@gmail.com> wrote on 14.12.2004 18:11:37:

> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:48:18 +0100, andreas.sumper@nimbus.at
> <andreas.sumper@nimbus.at> wrote:
> >
> > Kamaraju Kusumanchi <kamaraju@gmail.com> wrote on 14.12.2004 17:19:35:
> >

> > But imho that is not true. the only differences between knoppix and debian
> > are:
> > 1. knoppix has the better hardware recognition.
> > 2. knoppix has just many more packages installed than debian
> > But after all, they are the same. I can make a system, total the same as it
> > was a knoppix - system.
> >

> Agreed. But the usual trend is that
> 1) people try knoppix live cd
> 2) get impressed by it and install it on the hard drive
> 3) then after sometime they realize that knoppix is not as stable as
> debian and so they want to shift to debian.
> 4) the shifting process (from knoppix to debian) is not very clean
> unless you know what you are doing or installing debian unstable.
> 5) The problem, I think is that knoppix mixes stable/testing/unstable
> packages and puts them on to one CD. But debian is not very tolerant
> to mixing these distributions. Hence all the problems.

that´s right, but if you keep those things in mind, the switching is possible. It is right, that those live cd things make things for users easier and they do not need to learn all that background stuff, but at least linux get´s more and more on desktops, which were filled with M$ - products before...

> > By the way, why didn´t you think about a solution or a hint isntead of
> > flaming him for using another distro.
>
> Sorry belahcene. I agree that just flaming without a solution is bad.
>
> > I thought, that the debian users are more tolerant than some others, but as
> > we know now, that´s just not the truth for all of us!
>
> They are in fact very tolerant. But remember there are many debian
> based distributions out there. For example knoppix, ubuntu, libranet
> to name a few. We do not get any questions about ubuntu and stuff on
> this list. But there are many questions relating to knoppix -> debian
> conversion.
>
> So I just wanted to emphasize that knoppix is not debian but is debian
> based. I dont know howmany agree with this opinion. But if more people
> feel that we can allow knoppix related questions in debian-user, I can
> change the FAQ. Afterall, the idea of FAQ is to help the end-user and
> not to blame him for ignorance.

So why couldn´t we take knoppix related questions in our FAQs? It should not be too hard to take the given answers, if there are some. We can allways learn from others.

> > I know, I am not more tolerant, than some others, but I am fed up with those
> > boring "this is not the correct forum, list, ..." and RTFM. I just try to
> > help if I can and I am so glad, if someone can help me too, if I have
> > problems...
>
> I am not sure I agree with the above statement. While RTFM is a bit
> impolite, I do think asking knoppix-related questions on a debian
> mailing list is a bad idea. I am not saying that  there are no knoppix
> experts on this list. But answering knoppix questions will not help
> debian users or debian in any way.

Some time ago I asked a friend of mine about some config - things (I guess it was related to sendmail or something)
the answer I got was RTFM :-(
Some time late he asked me about some admin thing about his lotus domino server. My answer was <F1>.
That did not get us any point further, but it shows, that no one is the perfect guru of all software around.

I agree, that this is not the best choice for asking knoppix - related questions, but as mentioned above, if it does not help debian, it could at least help linux as a whole alternative to winXX
For me, this was not just a knoppix but boot - loader install problem. So why shouldn´t we try to help the poor guy to make his system run? At least from my point of view, I will still try to help, if I have time, no matter if it is knoppix, ubuntu, RH, FC, or anything else...

Bye,
Andy