Re: Radeon 9200 issues

Dominique Dumont <domi@komarr.grenoble.hp.com> writes:

> Antony Gelberg <antony@antgel.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Nope, file is attached.  I have also tried inserting the amd64_agp
> > module instead of via_agp, and disabling all the X extensions - no
> > joy. Again - this config works great with my Radeon 9000 card.  I can
> > see that when the screen "flicks" every second or so, I get a glimpse
> > of the desktop, then a monitor OSD message saying something like
> > "cannot set this video mode, please set 1600 x 1200 @ 60hz".
>
> Video 1600x1200 is not logged by X as possible for your monitor.

I am going to guess that 1600x1200 is natural size in pixel of an LCD
panel on a laptop.  If so, it is not only *a* possible resolution, but
the *only* resolution possible (besides 800x600 by grouping pixels
2x2).  Other resultions seem possible but the pixels are only kind of
sort displayed that way.  This resultion has been fairly common for a
couple of years now.

By the way, I have a laptop with a radeon 9600 and 1400x1050 display.
My desktop video card and monitor are also capable of high
resolution.  The only problem is a distinct lack of fixed width fonts
which are readable when laptop monitor is 14" (and desktop monitor is
a 19" CRT).  Are there any good fonts which show up at least 3mm high
at 120 dpi?