Re: Question about usbkey lights

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 10:09:34PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 18:35 -0600, Brad Sims wrote:
> > I have a 512mb Sandisk Cruzer, it works perfectly. However when unmounting
> >  it the light stays on, it goes off on Windows... Just was wondering if anyone
> > had a solution other than killing and restarting hotplug (which seems silly,
> > and Not Elegant).
>
> If it unmounts properly, maybe it's just a minor aesthetic bug
> and there's no real need to worry.

My experience has been that when you tell Windows to stop a USB device, it
unmounts the volume and then actually stops the device itself (whatever that
entails). At that point then the light on the USB drive goes out.

With the drive mounted on Apple's OS X or on Linux the light stays on, and I
don't think the actual USB disk is "off" like it is with Windows. I am fairly
certain though that all you need to do to be safe is make sure all of your volumes
are unmounted before removing the disk.

Since Apple generally "does things right" in my experience with their OS, and
the Linux behavior is essentailly the same, I don't see any reason for concern,
and I certainly don't see any reason to kill and restart hotplug. As I already
said, as long as your volumes are unmounted cleanly you can safely remove the
drive.

--
Steve Block
http://ev-15.com/