Re: M$ USB-key

On Sat, Dec 04, 2004 at 11:53:07AM +0100, Yevgen Reznichenko wrote:
   > Hello,
   >
   > I have again troubles to run M$ mess on my linux machine (sid, 2.4.27,
   > 2.6.9), but now it is software it is hardware. I got an USB-Memory-stick
   > from M$ and can't mount it. Actually the stick is from Swissbit and
   > according to its homepage it is supported by 2.4+ kernels. How can I run
   > this thing under my machine?
   >
   > Here is dmesg output:
   >
   > hub.c: new USB device 00:07.2-1, assigned address 3
   > usb.c: kmalloc IF c5216d60, numif 1
   > usb.c: new device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
   > usb.c: USB device number 3 default language ID 0x409
   > Manufacturer: SWISSBIT
   > Product: Twist
   > SerialNumber: 408E8FAE062113B6
   > WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
   > USB Mass Storage device found at 3
   > usb.c: usb-storage driver claimed interface c5216d60
   > usb.c: kusbd: /sbin/hotplug add 3
   > usb.c: kusbd policy returned 0xfffffffe
   > hub.c: port 2, portstatus 100, change 0, 12 Mb/s
   >
   > Here is the error message:
   >
   > $ mount /mnt/usb/
   > mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device

I had somewhat similar problem when I tried using my Apacer USB stick on
my machine. It was perfectly readable and writable under M$, but not
even recognised under linux. What the manual suggested somewhere is that
it had to be formatted under Linux using mkfs.vfat or mkfs.msdos. I went
with the latter and till date have no problems.

Possible solution for your stick:

  Try cfdisk /dev/sda

  If your system can recognise it, then follow the above procedure of
  creating a partition and formatting it as dos partition from Linux. Do
  not do it from M$.

HTH,

Regards,

--
Sridhar M.A.                                   GPG KeyID : F6A35935
  Fingerprint: D172 22C4 7CDC D9CD 62B5  55C1 2A69 D5D8 F6A3 5935

This screen intentionally left blank.