OT: Any media player put subtitles in separate window?

I've seen a Macintosh Powerbook (running OS/X) play DVDs with the subtitles turned on, but in a separate window from the main movie window. This is handy, as it gets the subtitles out of the picture for those who don't want to see the subs, but leaves it somewhere on the screen (usually only valuable with a non-maximized movie window and/or a letter-box format movie) for those who do want subs.

I've been unable to find any such capability in any of the media players in Debian. Am I just missing it?

Thanks!

--
Kent