kernel-image-2.4.27-1-586.tsc - initrd.img not found after upgrade + Kernel panic VFS

Package : kernel-image
Version: 2.27-1-586tsc

I was running unstable. I have made apt-get update / apt-get upgrade and received this new package. After the installation I made the asked reboot and then I received the message :
Error 15: file not found.

I am using a Toshiba Libretto 50T.
I used d-i rc2 as a rescue disk (with the HD-MEDIA files I had previously written to my disk). I found that GNU GRUB was looking for initrd.img-2.4.27-1-586tsc while the right name seems to be (on my computer) : initrd.img-2.4.27-1-586tsc.new I have edited the GRUB command line and used /boot/initrd-2.4.27-586tsc.new to boot.

After this first first strange behaviour I encoutered a Kernel panic :

VFS : Cannot open root device "hda3" or 03:03

I have also to tell that I had also installed a kernel 2.6.9 which was giving me the same Kernel panic. This kernel was the first in GRUB .

You may find more informations (in french) on http://libretto.debian.free.fr , its a kind of blog with my experiences.

Does I have to consider this as a bug ?
If yes aren't they 2 bugs ?
Does I have to report this or these bugs ?
Is there something I can do to rescue my broken system ?

Is there something interesting to save from my system before I erase all with a new installation ? (that's for the community, I have no personnal data on the Libretto)

Thanks

Yann L'hostis