rescue with rescue floppy - Debian testing

Mr. Jan Hearthstone wrote:
> Adam Aube wrote:
>> Mr. Jan Hearthstone wrote:

>>>   So I tried the "boot" and "root" floppies, but
the
>>> thing insists that I repartition! (And lose
>>> everything!)

>> Try booting with a LiveCD (such as Knoppix). You
can
>> then chroot to your hard drive and fix the problem.

>   I have an old Toshiba Satelite that doesn't boot
off
> a CD-ROM.

Scrap the LiveCD idea, then.

>   I did, though, found some one-floppy Linux didts,
> but once (and if) I got the system on the RAM, I
have
> no idea how to get into my hd, and, at least,
salvage
> some files.

Hopefully it includes the chroot command.

Once you boot, mount whatever disk partition is your
root partition
as /mnt/[whatever] (make sure it's mounted
read/write), then
'chroot /mnt/[whatever]'.

For all practical purposes you are now on your local
system. You can mount
the rest of your partitions, and use lilo, apt-get,
and whatever else you
need to do the repairs.

Adam

Good and bad news.

The rescue floppy(-ies - BG-Rescue Linux 0.4.0 -
http://omnibus.ruf.uni-freiburg.de/~giannone/rescue/current/
-) chroot on it. Please, checkout their "BusyBox",

BusyBox  1.00    (with Ed Clark's unzip Patch)
[, adjtimex, ar, ash, basename, busybox,  cal, cat,
chgrp, chmod, chown, chroot,
chvt, clear, cmp,  cp,  cpio,  cut,  date,  dd,
deallocvt, devfsd, df, dirname,
dmesg, dos2unix, dpkg, dpkg-deb,  du,  dumpkmap,
echo, egrep, env, expr, false,
fdflush, fdformat,  fdisk,  fgrep,  find,  fold,
free, freeramdisk, fsck.minix,
ftpget, ftpput, getopt, grep, gunzip, gzip, halt,
hdparm, head, hexdump, hostid,
hostname, hwclock, id, ifconfig,  init,  insmod,
install, kill, killall, klogd,
length, ln, loadfont, loadkmap,  logger,  logname,
losetup, ls, lsmod, makedevs,
md5sum, mesg, mkdir, mkfifo, mkfs.minix,  mknod,
mkswap, mktemp, modprobe, more,
mount,  mv,  nameif,   nc,   netstat,   nslookup,
od,   openvt,  pidof,  ping,
pipe_progress, pivot_root, poweroff, printf, ps, pwd,
rdate, readlink, realpath,
reboot, renice, reset, rm, rmdir, rmmod, route, rpm,
rpm2cpio, sed, setkeycodes,
sh, sha1sum, sleep, sort,  stty,  swapoff,  swapon,
sync, sysctl, syslogd, tail,
tar, tee, telnet,  test,  tftp,  time,  top,  touch,
tr, traceroute, true, tty,
udhcpc,  umount,  uname,  uncompress,  uniq,
unix2dos,  unzip,  uptime, usleep,
vconfig, vi, watch, wc, wget, which, xargs, yes, zcat
  maybe there is something I could do?

The BG-Rescue asks me to "chroot NEWROOT [COMMAND...]"
and I don't know what it demands, I never came across
"/mnt", or "chroot" before.
I did "ls -a", and it listed all kind of directories,
it seemed to me those were the original ones.
I "cd"-ed into /root, did "ls -a" again, but all it
listed was "." and "..".
??????
Is there any "cookbook" approach that I would
comprehend?
What is it that I am supposed to "/mnt/" to?
"read/write" ?????
I am sorry.
Hearthstone.

=====
 Please take part in my survey on "Peace": http://www.modelearth.org/survey.html
 If we were sincere about wanting Peace, then we would spend more on Peace than what we spend on the military.
 Meditation for Peace: http://prayer4peace.net/
 Designing ecologically and socially sustainable Earth:
http://modelearth.tripod.com/modelearth.html
Best Hawai'ian Tunes:
http://hotspotshawaii.com/irhpages/irhlive.html
Legalize the Right to Sleep: http://gief.pair.com/hearth/sleepright.html