RE: Newbie Having Much Trouble Getting Deb 2.4.18-bf2.4 To Work

Login as root and type the following:
echo chatagnier > /etc/hostname

To clarify my previous post:

In my other post I said source /etc/profile because, normally, this file is
automatically sourced when a normal user logs in, and PS1 (the variable that
controls how the prompt looks) is set there.  You sane always change that at
any time by doing something like PS1="My Prompt: ".

I also gave this option of sourceing ~/.profile because I didn't know if you
were logging in as a normal user or root.  On the system I use, when root
logs in, /etc/profile is NOT sourced, but the .profile file in root's home
directory is (the tilda (~) is shorthand for the current user's home
directory).