Re: rescue with rescue floppy - Debian testing

Mr. Jan Hearthstone wrote:
> Adam Aube wrote:
>> Mr. Jan Hearthstone wrote:

>>>   So I tried the "boot" and "root" floppies, but the
>>> thing insists that I repartition! (And lose
>>> everything!)

>> Try booting with a LiveCD (such as Knoppix). You can
>> then chroot to your hard drive and fix the problem.

>   I have an old Toshiba Satelite that doesn't boot off
> a CD-ROM.

Scrap the LiveCD idea, then.

>   I did, though, found some one-floppy Linux didts,
> but once (and if) I got the system on the RAM, I have
> no idea how to get into my hd, and, at least, salvage
> some files.

Hopefully it includes the chroot command.

Once you boot, mount whatever disk partition is your root partition
as /mnt/[whatever] (make sure it's mounted read/write), then
'chroot /mnt/[whatever]'.

For all practical purposes you are now on your local system. You can mount
the rest of your partitions, and use lilo, apt-get, and whatever else you
need to do the repairs.

Adam