Re: testing apt-get not upgrading

On Friday 03 December 2004 04:38, Brendan J Simon wrote:
> I'm running testing and apt-get wont upgrade quite a few packages.
> I'm want to upgrade to mozilla-firefox and mozilla-thunderbird but these
> are being held back, along with quite a few other files.
> I'm doing the standard apt-get update/upgrade.
>
> If I do apt-get install mozilla-firefox it will install it but it is
> telling me it is going to remove a whole lot of packages like gnome and
> gnome-core.  I do not want that, at least I think I don't.
>
> If I try to apt-get install gnome, it tells me it can't becuase of other
> packages like gnome-office.
>
> If I apt-get install gnome-office, it will upgrade but will remove
> gnome.  How can installing gnome-office remove gnome ???
> Is gnome, gnome-themes, gnome-core, etc no longer required ???
>
> Is there anything I can do or do I just have to wait until these
> dependencies are fixed.  This doesn't happen on another machine I have
> at work but I think that is because gnome isn't installed.
>
> Thanks,
> Brendan Simon.
> Melbourne/Australia.

Hi Brendan,

Have you tried apt-get dist-upgrade?  Upgrade won't install new packages or
remove packages, but dist-upgrade will, in an attempt to resolve
dependencies.  Keep a close eye on what it wants to do before you let it,
however.  Testing is testing, and there could be conflicts in package
dependencies that could lead to removing packages you don't actually want
to, but those cases are rare and with Sarge this close to release, I doubt
that's the problem, unless parts of gnome 2.8 have started to trickle in.

Don't immediately fret if installing gnome-office wants to remove gnome.
Gnome is a metapackage, and unless it wants to remove all the dependencies
too, you won't lose anything.

Quite often, packages that provide the same (or very similar) things change
names, and you'll have to remove the old named one to install the new one.
That's what dist-upgrade was designed to solve for you.

Justin Guerin