Solution for a failing mkinitrd

Hi list,
I've come across a rather freak problem and to spare others the time, I
thought, I'd post the solution although no one asked.

The error that might occur is
cpio: (0x00000000): No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `(0x00000000)': No such file or directory
run-parts: /usr/share/initrd-tools/scripts/e2fsprogs exited with return
code 1

after You install / upgrade a new kernel on an amd64 System.
The problem seems to occur only, if You use both the amd64 and a
-386/-k7 kernel.
As far as I understood, some binaries are linked to 64 bit libraries,
when running with the amd64 Kernel. This results in a mkinitrd failure,
when installing or upgrading a 32 bit kernel.
The solution is rather simple: Don't upgrade the 32bit Kernel out of an
amd64 Kernel environment. If this has already happened, boot the system
with a 32bit only kernel (for example the non-optimised -386 or from a
rescue disk) and do a dpkg --pending --configure.
Best regards,
Jonathan