Re: Woody and kernel 2.6

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 04:14:06PM +0100, Andreas Janssen wrote:
> Hello
>
> Thomas Beresford (<number18@spymac.com>) wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to install a 2.6 kernel on woody?
>
> Yes, if you install the necessary userspace utilities. This includes
> module-init-tools, and newer versions of a lot of other packages,
> perhaps procps, util-linux, e2fstools, lm-sensors and some more. There
> are 2.6 backports available from backports.org, that packages should
> satisfy the most important dependencies.
>
> > If so what version is the most recommmended?
>
> If you compile the source from kernel.org, use the newest version.

Additionally, this info was in the last Debian Weekly News[1].  I haven't
looked at it, but maybe it is helpful?

(From Debian Weekly News - November 30th, 2004)

Installing Linux 2.6 on Debian. Falko Timme wrote a [20]tutorial on
running Linux 2.6 together with Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (woody). In order
to have module support some backports need to be installed. One of the
final steps is creating a ramdisk so that the kernel will boot
properly.

 20. http://www.falkotimme.com/howtos/debian_kernel2.6_compile/

[1] List-Archive: <http://lists.debian.org/debian-news/>

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.