OOo Printer Setup Frustration

I have two boxes both using a kernel completed from kernel-source-2.4.26 and both using CUPS and openoffice.org.

Both have the latest dist-upgrade from testing.

On both I have edited /etc/openoffice/openoffice.conf and have enabled export SAL_DISABLE_CUPS=1.

One box finds its attached printer, allows me to set the paper size and prints correctly.

The other box does not find its attached printer and insists on using a generic printer which only spits out dozens of blank pages. If, instead, I comment out export SAL_DISABLE_CUPS=1 openoffice finds the attached printer but it is not possible to set the paper size and nothing prints.

CUPS printing works perfectly on both boxes for all other applications.

I am at a loss to find the difference between the two systems.

Tom George