Re: How can I change the locale setting?

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 16:42:08 -0500, Thomas H. George
<xyz@spininternet.com> wrote:
> I must have missed something very elementary.  I can't find out how to
> change the locale setting from POSIX to en_US.
>
> locale -a shows both are available.  apropos locale provides a long list
> of locale programs including setlocale.  The man page for setlocale
> specifies the header to use in a C program.  I am not able to whip up a
> C program at the drop of a hat though I can work one out if forced.
> Still there must be a trivially simple way to change the locale setting
> though I can't find one in my reference books.
>
> I would appreciate it if someone could take a moment to point me in the
> right direction.

IIRC, "dpkg-reconfigure locales" is used to generate the locale you
want to use,    i don't remember if this set the default too, anyway
if you use a DE (like Gnome or KDE) you should find an option to set
it, if you want to set on your console, look for "i18n" on your shell
documentation. You usually need to export some environment variables
like "LANG" or "LC_CTYPE", "LC_NUMERIC", "LC_TIME"...

Andrea