[OT] booting through RTC wake-up

Hi Debian!

I think this is OT.
Anyway I don't know how to explain the following:

I want to boot my KT7A mobo with Award Bios with a RTC wakeup event at
1:45AM (to record music with mplayer from crontab)

So I set that time in the menu.

I use a voltage regulator to plug the system into (I live in Mexico
outside of the city - really don't know if that is still necessary, what
could happen?)

It works and everything boots if I leave the voltage regulator ON.

But if I put a timer between the power and the voltage regulator and pop
the timer at 1AM, it does NOT work.

The reason I want to put the timer in is because the voltage regulator,
with the system turned off uses "a lot of" power, a relative term, but
it sucks up juice and I want to avoid that ( 2x to 3x more power if you use a voltage regulator that is "on" with everything attached "off")

So you say, "your timer is off". Took the timer home and used it with a
lamp: timer is on-time.

When I arrive in the AM, the system is powered up but not booted, acting
as if the timer popped AFTER 1:45AM.

The BIOS description in the Abit KT7A manual says on p.3-31 that the RTC Alarm can wake up the computer from "sleeping or power-off mode".

The key to the problem seems to be that "state". When I use the power off button he goes apparently into "soft off/suspend" state as it says on the same page. But if I cut the power by tripping the power in the timer to "off" he goes into a different state from which there is no wake up.

The manual is not very clear on that.

In the meantime everything works without a voltage regulator and using the power off button. But we already knew that.

What can go wrong w/o a voltage regulator?
Why no wake up after cutting the power?

Anybody follow this?

Hugo.