Can't get the sound server up [nVidia drivers + aRts]

Hi,

I tried the nV News forums but I got no replies yet, so I thought some of you here might have had
the same problem I am having.

I am running Debian SID/unstable with kernel 2.6.9 and KDE 3.3. I have an Asus K8N-E Deluxe mobo
with nForce3 250Gb. I installed the nVidia drivers just fine (too bad they are closed source),
then used modconf to load the nvnet and nvsound modules. The nvnet one works just great (even
after reboot). But I can't get my sound server up. aRts fails to start. When run from the command
line, here is the output:
>>>Start of paste<<<
ib@scarfac3:~$ artsd -l0 -F10 -S4096
artsd version is 1.3.1
gsl: using Unix98 pthreads directly for mutexes and conditions
autodetecting driver:
- oss: 10
- alsa: 0
- null: -1
- esd: -1
- jack: -1
- nas: -1
- toss: 4
... which means we'll default to oss
[artsd: 4680] SoundServerStartup --> got lock
device capabilities: revision0 duplex realtime trigger mmap
buffering: 64 fragments with 1024 bytes (audio latency is 341.3 ms)
AudioIOOSS: failed prefilling audio buffer (might cause synchronization problems in conjunction
with full duplex)
virtualize StereoVolumeControl
device capabilities: revision0 duplex realtime trigger mmap
buffering: 64 fragments with 1024 bytes (audio latency is 341.3 ms)
AudioIOOSS: failed prefilling audio buffer (might cause synchronization problems in conjunction
with full duplex)
audio format is 48000 Hz, 16 bits, 2 channels
addDirectory(/usr/lib/mcop,)
addDirectory(/usr/lib/mcop/Arts,Arts)
addDirectory(/usr/lib/mcop/Arts/Environment,Arts::Environment)
addDirectory(/usr/lib/mcop/Noatun,Noatun)
addDirectory(/home/ib/.mcop/trader-cache,)
Arts::MidiManager registered successfully.
[artsd: 4680] SoundServerStartup <-- released lock
AudioSubSystem::handleIO: write failed
len = -1, can_write = 1024, errno = 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable)

This might be a sound hardware/driver specific problem (see aRts FAQ)
>>>End of paste<<<

I tried to run it as root, but there are a lot more things printed to the screen, mainly info.
However, the error is still the same. I couldn't find anything in the aRts FAQs about this. I
looked in dmesg and the Nvsound module is loaded just fine. I made sure that the OSS modules are
built into the kernel as I build my own custom kernels.

Where can I make sure the right driver is loaded for the sound device?
Any ideas where the problem might come from?

Thx,
ib