Sarge gnome messed up

I've installed sarge on an i386 machine and seem to have gnome all messed up. I'm using gdm as the login manager and select gnome as the session. When I log in, I get the gnome splash screen, it shows the first 2 icons in that screen, then shows no more, the splash screen goes away and I'm left with just a screen with the X background showing. Using the middle mouse button I can bring up a menu to run applications, but there is no gnome panel or anything else. The .xsession-errors file shows the following:

/etc/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp and utmp
/etc/gdm/PreSession/Default: running: /usr/bin/X11/sessreg -a -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/lib/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -l ":0" "root"
/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
SESSION_MANAGER=local/electra:/tmp/.ICE-unix/5016
Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1
Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1
Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1
Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1
Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1
Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1

In the past in woody, gnome occasionally gets hosed and I've deleted all the .gnome* and other files and sort of started from scratch with my account's desktop configuration. Also on woody, when the window manager has gotton messed up, using the gnome control center to switch to another window manager and them back again has also restored things. I've tried deleting all the gnome and sawfish and gtk, etc. configuration files/directories in my user account and nothing is fixed.

Any suggestions for how to fix this??

Thanks...