Re: adding a non-packaged extension to mozilla-firefox

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:44:26 +0200, Riccardo Vestrini
<riccardov@sssup.it> wrote:
> I wonder which is the preferred way to add an extension to mozilla-firefox
>
> going to www.mozilla.org, finding an extension and clicking on the
> "install" icon does not seem to work
> (i tried reloading firefox, calling update-mozilla-firefox-chrome,
> searching for "firefox extension" on this list without good luck)
>
> I would only like to install the single-window extension on my own
> computer ...

Do you have website software installation enabled?  Check in
Edit->Preferences->Advanced.  There should be a check-box labelled
"Allow web sites to install software" under "Software Update".  If
that's checked and it still isn't working, try going to the
extension's homepage and downloading the .xpi file yourself -- it
could be that the "install now" link is broken.  Firefox should then
ask you if you want to install it.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh