Re: cant boot with kernel 2.6.8

On Thursday 07 October 2004 17:09, Ian L wrote:
> At 10:43 AM 10/7/2004, you wrote:
> >On Wednesday 06 October 2004 16:33, Ian Lipsky wrote:
[snip]

> >Hi Ian,
> >
> >This link may prove useful.
> >http://www.geocities.com/rlcomp_1999/f10errors.html
> >
> >"After reading the man page on fdisk for Linux, I realized that it will
> >assume its own geometry if fdisk for Linux is the first utility to
> >partition the disk."
> >
> >I believe your situation falls into this category?  It's not complete,
> > and it might be old, but it could help.
> >
> >Hope it does.
> >
> >Justin Guerin
>
> Sorry to be so dense, but i dont quite understand that.  He realized it
> will assume its own geometry ... what exactly is 'it' ? Also, if my
> partitions are bad, wouldnt the 2.4.18 kernel also fail to boot?
>
> I cant remember what was used to partition the disk ... it probably was
> fdisk ... whatever the default partitioning tool is that comes with woody
> should be what i used to partition this disk. Also, his solution seems to
> be to re-create the partitions ... thats just going to wipe out the
> install and put me back at the beginining isnt it?
>
> thanks for the help ... sorry i dont see how this helps me.
>
> Ian

The point is, did you ever use a Dos / Windows utility to partition the
disk, or did you buy it new and partition it with the installer?

Yes, his solution re-creates the partitions, and yes, you would then have to
reinstall (or maybe not, since the partition table would be identical), but
during the reinstall, you wouldn't have to make the partitions, you could
just install.  The feeling I got from the web page was that this would
allow things to proceed normally.

As for why one kernel boots and the other doesn't, I don't know.  I suspect
it's related to your bootloader and the fact that the installed kernel
comes from the same source as the partition table, but that's a total
guess.

Justin