strange disk corruption

Whether or not this is related to debian is not clear, but it's possible.

I've currently set fsck to run pretty much on every other boot.

And just about every time it runs , it informs me that it fixed file
system errors and reboots the system.

However all other indicators of disk operation are just fine.  I can
moved 3+ GB files around, there is no funny core dumps or segfaults
from executables, kernel compiles work fine, etc...

So this problem has a history.  I had previously been seeing
corruption in the /dev directory and only the /dev directory.
Duplicate file names, files which could not be deleted, etc...  The
only way to fix was to reboot with a rescue disk and wipe the /dev
directory and start over.  Unfortunately I had to do this several
times.

Naturally I wonder if my current problem and the previous are related.

So here are some of the possibilities:

1.  the /dev directory seems to be somewhat dynamic, could there be a
    debian start-up script which is/was somehow corrupting the /dev
    directory ?

2.  Do I have bad blocks on the disk ?  And how would I check this?
    Again, I've seen no other evidence whatsoever of flaky disk
    behavior ?

3.  Could this be a bug in fsck ?  Why doesn't fsck actually tell me
    what the errors are !!  It just says "fixed them - rebooting".
    isn't this a Bad Thing (TM) ?

Aaargh !  My linux box is acting like a windows box, it's so depressing !

Thanks

Brian