Re: question re: removing all traces of Windows ME OS

On Monday 04 October 2004 22:26, Ulisses Reina Montenegro de Albuquerque
wrote:
> Kent West wrote:
> > About the only disadvantages of multiple platforms:
> >
> > * If you size them wrong to begin with (too small, and they'll fill
> > up; too large, and it's wasted disk space), it can be problematic to
> > resize them.
> >
> > * It's a little more complex to set up (plan the sizes, names, make
> > sure /etc/fstab is correct, etc).
>
> Since the new Debian installer (pre-rc2) supports boot setups using LVM,
> these are no longer a big problem. Many people do not use LVM on desktop
> systems, because they associate it with servers (and their huge storage
> requirements, with multi-disk setups and such), but LVM can offer some
> real benefits for desktop users, too.

Just to take this discussion a step further.

I use /boot with grub and the kernel images as a small 30MB partition at the
front of the disk.  This is formatted using ext2

The root partition and all other partitions are reiserfs.  Reiserfs can be
grown without dismounting it (assuming space),  It can be contracted by
dismounting

All other partitions other than root I use as Logical Partitions within an LVM
volume group.  This way you can pretty well grow or shrink these at will (and
create new ones if there is a new subdirectory with a lot of data to add, or
remove them when done with them)

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk