Re: Why Grub? Must I Switch?

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 09:08:45 -0700, Daniel L. Miller <dmiller@amfes.com> wrote:
> cr wrote:

> >>So you can't have an unattended boot?
> >>
> >>Daniel
> >>

> >You can certainly have an unattended boot - the GRUB menu comes up and, after
> >a specified interval, it will go on to boot the first entry on the menu
> >(unless, of course, you manually select another).
> >
> >However, if you've just done a system upgrade or destroyed a kernel or
> >whatever, or are just Grub-floppy-booting into a system, then you can bring
> >up the  Grub command line which has, as Paul said, tab autocompletion - and
> >very handy it is too for finding a kernel when you can't remember whether
> >it's  vmlinuz2.4.18-bf2.4 or   vmlinuz2.4.18_bf2.4
> >
> >cr
> >

> That's not my idea of an unattended boot - which is where the comments
> on symlinks came from.  If you have a symlink to your current kernel
> version, with the grub config looking at the symlink - then you can
> upgrade the kernel, hit restart, and walk away.  When you come back,
> your machine is ready (assuming the kernel isn't messed up).

You can do this with Grub and Lilo too, you can use some hook to
launch a command at installation time, IIRC modifying the
/etc/kernel-img.conf file. If you use grub add the line "postinst_hook
= /sbin/update-grub" and "postrm_hook = /sbin/update-grub". I'm not
sure, but this should be explained in the kernel-package
documentation...

Andrea