Re: Software RAID 0 and linux 2.6.8.1

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Niels wrote:

> I want to buy a Promise Fasttrack TX2 plus RAID 0 controller with two
> SATA hard disks. The controller is a software controller. I want no
> other hard disks than these two in my PC. Can I boot of this setup with
> the 2.6 kernel?

yes...

> Is it possible to put Windows XP and Debian Linux on the
> same RAID 0 array?

yes

> Is it difficult to install?

no

-- trick is to install windoze on the 1st partition so it thinks its C:

--- bigger problem ...

- why use 2 disks in raid0 ( aks stripping ) which might allow you to read
  faster but also makes 2 disks look like 1 bigger disk
	- if one disk dies... both disk are useless

- i think you want to use (sw or hw ) raid1 ( mirror )
	- if one disk dies ... all your data is still intact on the other
	disk

- gazillion raid howtos urls
	http://1u_raid5.net/HowTo/SW-Raid-HOWTO.txt

c ya