Re: input layer of the linux kernel

On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 06:11, Paul Akkermans wrote:
> Hi group,
>
> I have to analyze the input layer of the linux kernel for a
> schoolassignment. My question is: How big (how many files) is this
> input layer? And where can I find all these files. I have kernel
> 2.4.18 installed on my debian system. Can anybody help me?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul Akkermans

Well, every input device driver is considered part of the input layer. I
think you are more interested in the input core.

You can find the input core in drivers/input under your source tree.
It's small enough to grasp (the input core is a single file with a few
supporting files). Definitely easier to trace than the Linux memory
manager ;-)

The 2.6 kernel has major changes to the input layer so I would recommend
using it as opposed to 2.4.

If you have further questions you can post them on the kernel mailing
list. You could also ask the maintainer of the input layer (Vojtech
Pavlik <vojtech@suse.cz>) about design decisions.

Here is a link you may find useful. It's a priceless tool when it comes
to tracing kernel code you're unfamiliar with. I think you'll find it
useful for what you have to do.

http://lxr.linux.no/

--
Eric Gaumer <gaumerel@ecs.fullerton.edu>