making tk and wx(python) prettier

Hi folks,

I think I'm like most people in that, when I run "straight" x programs
(for me this includds xpdf, acroread, and little scripts I've written
or downloaded using Tk or wxPython) the output is aesthetically
pretty unpleasing.  THis doesn't really bother me, but I noticed when
downoading one wxPython utility that the screenshots from MacOSX were
gorgeous, while the program, when it ran on my Xfce4 desktop, was
actually pretty hard to read on the screen.  So I wondered whether I
can set default display fonts and other settings to improve the look
of these programs.  Anyone know whether I'm asking the impossible?

thanks,

Matt

 .''`.       Matt Price
: :'  :      Debian User