Re: UTF-8 locale, strange chars in X terminal pager(s), specifically man pages

On Saturday 02 Oct 2004 12:43:08 +0200, Martin Dickopp wrote:

> If you type
>
>     PAGER=cat man cat
>
> do you see a coypright symbol in the "Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software
> Foundation, Inc." line (i.e., in the place where I have written "(C)"
> here)? If you type
>
>     printf \\302\\251\\n
>
> do you see a copyright symbol? If you type
>
>     printf \\342\\200\\220\\n
>
> do you see a small hyphen (i.e. something somewhat smaller than what you
> get when you hit the - key)?
>
> If your answer to the second and third question is "yes", try to pipe the
> output of each command to a pager, e.g.
>
>    printf \\342\\200\\220\\n | less
>
> In place of "less", try each pager which you also tried with "man".

If I use the above commands in uxterm, all is well.  I see the copyright
symbol and the small hyphen.  Of course, aterm is a no go, but that is not
a surprise.

So I tried the following pagers: cat, less, more, most.  (I was enjoying
"most" for the colorization....)

It ultimately does seem to be a PAGER problem, since with every pager but
"most", when used in a uxterm, the man pages render perfectly well with no
odd symbols.  It seems the culprit was "most."

As a final minor issue, not critical for me by any means, when I use a
working pager like less to view the UTF-8-demon.txt file, the only text
that gives a problem (boxes) is Amharic Ethiopian.

Thank you, as well as the other respondents, for all your patient
assistance.

Cheers,

Fred Henry, Jr.