Re: apt-get 'search'?

On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 10:26:01AM -0400, Tony Uceda Velez wrote:
> Anyone know what is comparable to Gentoo's 'emerge search' in apt-get?  Man
> pages didn't reflect something similar?  Want to search for list of packages
> that start with a certain string.
>
> Thanks.

~ %% apt-cache search foobar
man2html - Turns a web-browser and an httpd-server into a man pager.
~ %% apt-cache show man2html
Package: man2html
 Point your webbrowser at http://your.site/cgi-bin/man2html and you got
 your manpages in the browser.
 .
 Features:
  * Fast C CGI program for man/BSD-mandoc to HTML conversion.
  * Works from the unformatted nroff/troff source.
  * Source may be compressed.
  * Does tbl tables (but not eqn equations).
  * Generates hypertext links to foobar(1), abc@host, and xyzzy.h files
  * CGI script for whatis-based alpha-indexes by section.
  * CGI script for name-only alpha-indexes by section.
  * CGI script for full text search (requires glimpse)
  * Front-end script to talk to a pre-launched netscape.

~ %%

Probably not exactly what you want, but can be combined with grep(1).

"apt-cache search prefix | grep '^prefix'" is much faster than
"dpkg -l prefix*", atleast on my system.

--
The world's most effective spam filter:
        ln -sf /dev/full /var/mail/$USER