Re: SSH Cracking Attempts

On 10/01/04 00:20, Jacob S wrote:

At this point I'm thinking tarpitting may provide the more thorough yet
tailored approach, but I'm still in the process of doing research on it.
And, depending on how it works, these two different approaches may be
worth using in parallel.

Thanks again,
Jacob

Jacob,

Thank /you/!

Please post what your research finds. I've been intimidated by the technicalities, and the contradictions, in /etc/ssh/sshd_config, man
sshd_config, man ssh, /etc/pam.d/ssh, etc.

For example, /etc/ssh/sshd_config default settings/comments seem to contradict man sshd_config for Use PAM.

I trust my current settings for security on sshd, but the complexity of it all is beyond me, and I'm reluctant to add the lines you suggest for fear of breaking something I don't understand. The idea here was to be a less attractive target, though I've tightened down most of the settings pretty seriously already. No need to let anyone rattle the door knob until they tire, rather send them on their way much sooner.

I'll be reading the thread to see what you discover!

Regards,
Ralph