Re: windows locks up while accessing samba shares

Hi,
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:06:20 +0100, Ognjen <ognjen@mailshack.com> wrote:
>  I have a server running debian (testing) with samba. All permissions etc...
> work and i can create folders etc.... my problem is that when i try to
> transfer files on the server windows (win2000 prof) locks up. after
> rebooting and going back to the server i find that the file has been
> transferred with no problems
>
> Also if i try to open any file on the server (it opens folders just fine)
> windows locks up as well. basically any (read) file access locks up windows
> but write does not, i would have put it down to faulty windows installation
> had i not found out that other people who also accessed the server got the
> same problem (windows lockup (win 2k & XP tested) ).
>
> I believe it must be related to the server (possibly samba). while this is
> my first attempt at using debian in a server i have used redhat before yet I
> have never had a problem like this before, what could be causing it? (note
> that from the server directly i can access the files with no problem)
>
> Any help sorely appreciated as i am completely lost with this problem

You'll have to look up some more info in samba itself. Find the log in
/var/log/samba. There is a session log there. Try to connect with the
offending client and look up the log of that particular session. Read
it and see what is happening. If you can't figure it out with googling
from that, post some interesting snippets here.

greets,
Wim