Re: Confused about modules

Robert Parker wrote:

As root
On a Woody system 2.4 series kernel.

modprobe apm
the module installs and is in the lsmod list but does not persist through a boot.

insmod apm
same story.

So what command should I use to have apm installed on boot?
I guess a second question is why have 2 commands doing the same thing?

"insmod" just attempts to insert the specified module, without attempting to insert any modules on which the specified module depends, and often fails because of these dependencies. "modprobe" is a better method (IMO), since it also checks for module dependencies and inserts those as necessary.

To make the modules permanent over reboots, you need to add them to the configuration file "/etc/modules". You can either do this manually, or you can do the three steps of searching for the correct modules, inserting it, and adding it to "/etc/modules" with the text-based pointy-clicky "modconf" utility.

--
Kent