Re: apt-get install problem

James Foster wrote:
Umar,

Are you running Woody? AMSN isn't available from 'stable'  sources,
and also has dependencies that are not available from 'stable'
sources. As far as I know, you'll have to do quite a bit of messing
around with various packages to get it working. I'm not very
experienced, though, so there may be an easier way that I do not know
of.

One alternative is GAIM, which is available from 'stable' apt sources.
It has a plugin that will let you connect to MSN.

Good luck,

James Foster

amsn is great - and it's interpreted (not compiled) - so the only thing you'd have to do is download, put it somewhere (say, in /usr/local/src) and link from a directory in your PATH (probably /usr/local/bin is, fix that otherwise!) -- you may have to change permissions/ownership to make to usable for other users (chmod/chown)

As a msn messenger clone, amsn is much better than GAIM; GAIM tries to combine a lot of different instant messengers in one interface, it doesn't give everything you expect of a msn messenger client

HTH,

Joris