Re: Apache and CGI

On Tuesday 22 June 2004 11:23 am, richard lyons wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 June 2004 08:19, Greg Sidelinger wrote:
> > Ok I feel pretty stupid for even asking this but how do I make cgi
> > scripts work with apache2 and unstable.  I did just the default
> > install of apache2 and tried to run the test-cgi script and all I got
> > for output was the script itself.  I know I have had this same
> > problem before on unstable but for the life of me I can't figure out
> > what I did to fix it.  The scripts are all 755 and nothing shows up
> > in the error logs. I just got the script displaced which tells me
> > that they are not being processed.
> > The /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/default config file has ExecCGI and a
> > scriptalias for the directory but for the life of me I can't get
> > apache to process the cgi scripts.  I'm using the apache2-mpm-prefork
> > package. The the current config is the default from the packages.  If
> > anyone can point me in the correct direction so I can test some
> > simple programs please let me know what I'm over looking.
>
> Have a look at your /etc/apache/httpd.conf -- it is pretty well
> documented.
>
> I think what you are looking for is a stanza for whichever directory you
> want to run cgi scripts from.  Make sure you still have something like
>
> <Directory /usr/lib/cgi-bin/>    # or wherever
>     AllowOverride None           # I forget what this is at the mo.
>     Options ExecCGI              # This is the line in question
>     Order allow,deny             # The usual access control thing...
>     Allow from all               # ... or whatever
> </Directory>
>
> Read the rest of it as well while you are there.  It`s full of wisdom
> which I have forgotten since I last looked...  (Which may also mean I`m
> barking up the wrong tree)
>
> HT(happens to)H
> --
> richard

I have all that stuff in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/default

        ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
        <Directory /usr/lib/cgi-bin>
                AllowOverride None
                Options ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
                Order allow,deny
                Allow from all
        </Directory>

the Alias part of the scriptalias works just fine.  Just not getting the
ExecCGI.  I even tried turning on AddHandler but it did not help.

AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl

I'm really not sure what i'm doing.  I'm just confused as to why the default
config is not working, must be that unstable thing.  But I know I have had
this problem before with unstable, just can't remember what I did to fix it.
And yes I have read the apache conf file, many times.

Greg