Re: apt-get update lists

On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 09:49:52AM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> Brian Astill wrote:
>
> >I have just started to use Debian - some would say I still haven't
> >started because I'm using Knoppix 3.4 installed on my HD.  <sigh>
> >
> "<sigh>" all you want, but Knoppix is not Debian; it is based on Debian.
> Having said that, I'd agree that you're now located in the Debian
> cosmos, and have more or less "started to use Debian".
>
> >The distro works very well, but there are one or two things I want to do
> >and/or install that Knoppix doesn't cover, though Debian packages
> >certainly can.
> >
> >First things first :-)
> >Is there a list of packages sorted by Section, rather than by Package,
> >without logging onto packages.debian.org/stable/ ?
> >

> As Carl implied, Knoppix is a mix of Debian stable, testing, and
> unstable, along with a few third-parties thrown in for good measure. It
> works very well as a distro, but when you start trying to upgrade it,
> especially from the very old stable distro, you're likely to run into
> all sorts of brokenness. I'd suggest pulling from unstable, and even at
> that, expect brokenness when you upgrade.

(I never tried this.  So I am talking by speculation.)

How bad is this situation?  Is unstable good for this original poster?

As long as upgrading while pointing to stable tree, system will not pick
old versions.  So they should not cause much trouble.  You only get
security update.  (If Knopix recompile old version packages and ships it
without package version modification, there may be issue.)

Now he should get old but many interesting packages from Debian, I
thought.

But upgrading to testing or unstable with minimal understanding of
Debian administration will be pretty tough experiences.

So I would argue to stick to stable for now.

Osamu