Re: alsa not working

On Friday 11 June 2004 22:06, Chris Metzler wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 21:51:13 +0200
>
> John van Spaandonk <j.spaandonk@chello.nl> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I searched linuxquestions.org and the last year of this list but
> > could not find anything relevant.
> >
> > Problem:
> > alsa sound not working.
> > alsaconf is not working either. It says no pci cards found, and
> > scanning for legacy ISA cards is not useful, I don't have those.
> > So automatic configuration does not work.
> >
> > Symptoms:
> > alsamixer says:
> > alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
> > directory
> >
> > Additional info:
> > /dev/dsp points to /dev/sound/dsp (which seems to be ok)
> > I am a member of groups cdrom, audio and video
> > See attached the output of lspci, lsmod
> > and my /etc/modules and /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
> >
> > My hardware:
> > Asus p4p800 deluxe
> > Soundblaster live!
> >
> > The funny thing is that I can hear sounds just fine by playing a flash
> > animation with sound, eg the casini one found on
> > http://www.nasa.gov/home/
> >
> > So the hardware works.
> >
> > However I cannot get arts to work.
> > Also xmms does not work using the alsa output driver
> >
> > I guess I am still missing some alsa-specific configuration stuff.
> >
> > Thanks for any ideas,
>
> Your problem is that you are loading OSS modules.  The ALSA modules
> can't load if the OSS modules are installed.  First, remove the OSS
> modules from your /etc/modules file, so they'll stop being loaded
> automatically during boot.  Then, check to see if you have either
> discover or hotplug installed.  During boot, their scripts run before
> the ALSA script does, and they'll try to install OSS modules.  If
> you have either or both of them installed, make sure that the OSS
> modules are blacklisted in their respective configuration files.
> The ALSA modules will load appropriately.
>
> -c

Chris, thanks for this tip.
It seems a very reasonable hypothesis.

One question: how do I recognise OSS modules?
Did you see any in my lsmod output?

BTW I had installed discover just tonight, to see if it would help;
obviously I'm better of without it if I want to use ALSA.

I also use hotplug, which gives me lots of error messages but seems
to work with USB anyway. It says PCI events are not synthesised, so I guess
I do not really have to worry about hotplug for the sound card?

On a related note, isn't it time for the discover program to start
installing ALSA over OSS? Or does Debian use ALSA as a default only for
the 2.6 kernel?

Thanks

John