Re: How to write to XP (ntfs)?

On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 10:50:49PM -0700, Mike Chandler wrote:
> On Sunday 06 June 2004 06:26 pm, Micha Feigin wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 03:30:54PM -0700, dking@pimpsoft.com wrote:
> > > Not true, tools exist to to use it just as you would a fat32 filesystem.
> > >
> > > Knoppix uses them, in fact and that's based on debian.
> >
> > Don't know of any, and the kernel driver certainly doesn't support
> > that. It supports only changing data in the file without changing size
> > (useful mainly for linux in a file under ntfs, don't remember which
> > distribution does that).

> > >  +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> > >  This Mail Was Scanned By Mail-seCure System
> > >  at the Tel-Aviv University CC.
>
> OK, I guess it can't be done.
> Google came up with this page, which suggests that you can actually write to a
> dos filesystem, which is why I pursued it.

You can write to dos and all kinds of vfat (there are several ;-). If
you want to share a partition between M$ and linux the best solution is
to make a vfat32 partition that both can mount and read/write to.

Otherwise you can read from ntfs in linux and there are tools (both gui
and command line) to read ext2 (and thus ext3) and reiserfs. IIRC you
can also write to ext2 using the tool (don't remember the name) but not
sure about that.